Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Junk Miles

Turns out that I am not invincible. I can't just lace 'em up, walk out the door and have a great run. Not yet anyway. With Kary being sick today, I didn't get to run when I wanted to or eat when (and what) I wanted to, and it really effected my run tonight. Not a problem, because there are more important things than running, obviously, but it was a good lesson. The best runs come after you prepare for them. To be able to run at my full potential, I need to eat well all day (including a pre-run, high-carb snack) and I need to have a good solid warm-up. I didn't really do any of those things today, and I felt terrible for the whole run.

On the plus side, though, even though I didn't feel strong or fast, I still ran 3.39 miles in 44:24, for a 13:05 pace. Not too bad considering I had no idea how far I was running! Plus, I walked a little bit in the first half mile or so to warm up a little bit more, I walked a little bit going around the temple, and then I walked the last block and a half. So I guess the good news is that my slower pace runs are getting faster.

I would like to have probably 2 (maybe 3) runs before the 5K at a sub 11 pace to prepare for race day, and settle into running somewhere around 12's the rest of the time. I will be curious to see how far I can go running 12's. 5 miles? 6? Can I run a 10k at a 12 minute pace? Probably not at 245, but it wouldn't surprise me at 235. Could I run 12's for 13.1? Doubtful. But then again, I didn't think I could run 4 miles in less than 46 minutes either. As a superheavyweight. Who knows what I could do as a cruiserweight?

1 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Aaron Hamby said...

You know it is amazing that even in Kary's weakend physical state, she has the power to hold you down and force you to eat things you don't want to...

Seriously, though....nice run....I'm thinking we should be able to run the half at 12 minutes/mile....at least that's what I'm shooting for...I think we should keep running the short runs as fast as we can, and the long runs no faster than 12 minutes.....If we get to 10 miles, and can do that in 2 hours, we'll be in good shape for the half.....Then in the "off season" I figure I'll run leisurely, without even really timing, and then start back at the same kind of schedule for the full in April...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home