Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Vacation

No, Aaron, my computer isn't broken. But I've never had a less relaxing 11 days off. Between my dad running over my Grandma's dog (RIP Lucas) on Sunday, Logan being sick on Sunday and Monday, Emma being sick on Tuesday and Wednesday, our 10 year wedding anniversary on Thursday, Cowboy Hall of Fame on Friday, 4 trips to the dump after cleaning out the sheds in the back yard and the in-laws 35th anniversary party on Saturday, Easter with the in-laws on Sunday, and Logan's first baseball practice on Monday (where I am the head coach), I don't think I have ever had a week where I had less sleep. That's not even mentioning the puke I cleaned up over and over again.

On top of that, I've been promoted at work, at least temporarily. I'm a little nervous, but I'm hoping the change will do me good. So with the new management position combined with my head coaching gig, I am definitely going to have to work on my leadership skills. So far, though, the kids seem to be having a good time and they are playing together nicely. Hopefully I can get the baseball team to do as well.

Now that the excuses are out of the way, no, I haven't been doing any exercising. I have been eating pretty well, so my weight is still around 245. I really need to get going if I am going to make weight. But I have to say, trying to lose weight is no fun, so I think I am going to take a different path for awhile. Instead of trying to lose weight, I am going to try and get in shape. I know it sounds like I am splitting hairs, but I think the difference is significant. I feel like I have been babying myself with my training so far, so I am going to try and turn up the intensity a little bit. Instead of a lot of long, slow, easy walks, it is time to start running. The only way I am going to get strong enough for the marathon is to start running. Hard. If I get injured, I get injured, but it is time to stop worrying so much.

Right now the marathon seems a long way off. What is needed is some intermediate goals. It is time to start setting up a racing schedule. If I run enough races, with increasing distances, I think it will be easier to stay motivated. I haven't picked out all of the races I want to run yet, but I think I am going to start with the 5K at the Sooner State Games on 5/13, the Full Moon 5K on 6/3, work in the Lighthouse triathlon in the fall, use the Jenks Half-Marathon as my last long run on 10/28, and then finish the year with the Route 66 Marathon. I may be dreaming, but White Rock on 12/10 sounds pretty appealing also. Maybe I should do one first, though, huh?

So if you are interested, check out OKRunner.com, and see if any of these look appealing. By the way, did a faster mile tonight than I had in a while, so the new workouts are getting started. I will try and check my weight in the morning and see where I stand.

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, don't start running too hard just for the sake of going hard. You need to first get your body to running more, not necessarily harder. So, long slow runs are still a good idea. I don't think that you should be working on speed work quite yet, but more on endurance. Because, if you get injured, you'll be like me and get really frustrated and all the hard work that you put in so far would have gone in vain. Trust me, I know. You've heard me bitchin' about it enough! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home