Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The need for Speed

Turns out, the running is really starting to pay off. My speed has become incredible. I hadn't really noticed the improvement myself, but when other people start telling you how fast you are, you must be doing something right. Just today, on the way home from work, this nice officer from the Oklahoma Sheriff's Department went out of his way to stop me on the way home and let me know that he noticed!! He was so impressed, he wants me to stop by the courthouse where he works and tell his boss (Judge Something or other) just how fast I am! Unbelievable!! He even said something about a fee. Not sure I'm going to take it, though, because that might cause me to lose my amateur status. But it sure was nice of him to offer!

It's funny how flat Oklahoma seems. Not as bad as Kansas, but pretty damn flat. At least it seems that way while you are driving a car. But when on foot, or on a bike, it is amazing how much of a difference a very slight incline can make. The loop around my neighborhood has a couple of subtle hills and one very vertical hill. How I feel when I start a run usually determines the direction I go when I leave the house. But last night I felt pretty good and decided to work on my leg strength a little bit by doing hills. There is a dead end road a quarter mile or so from my house, and it is a about 100 yards of steady incline, followed by a short level spot, and then about 50 yards of very sharp incline. I ended up doing about 45 minutes of running (actual running included, not just walking). Very exhausting, but it felt great. No injury pain, just the pain of a good, solid workout. My legs were actually sore today, for the first time in awhile, so I decided to take the evening off to recuperate a little bit. My back even feels good today, with no pain at all to speak of.

So right now, everything is going according to schedule, knock on wood. There was even a little glimmer of motivation spotted in Chad today, who is thinking of getting back out on the road. I'm hoping we can at least get him to run the half in November. I know he can do it. By the way, congrats to Pascal for getting his new bike today! Pretty sure that is the end of our riding together, because I don't think the new bike has a gear as slow as I am....

2 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Aaron Hamby said...

Glad your pain is subsiding.....Nothing sucks more than being motivated to run mentally and not having your body agree physically.....

Try to slow it down, speedy.....I felt pretty good the other day because I usually set the cruise on like 78 or 79 on the way to work....some skanky lookin' chick blew by me just past Seward....You know that hilly area in the median just south of there? Well there was an OHP sitting there and I didn't even slow down when I saw him and he didn't blink at either that chick or me...so as far as I'm concerned, that's a green light.....gotta watch it between Waterloo and 2nd street though, Edmond patrols that like lionesses at the edge of the pride.....last thing I need is a ticket.....

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Maverick! That's a good way to spend your hard-earned money. You should be spending that on your registration fee for the Tulsa Marathon.
Dude, my bike is sooooo sweet. I'll still ride with you though. I had a special gear installed just for that. I stole it off my kid's bike, cause I didn't have a chainring small enough! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home