Monday, March 27, 2006

Weight Loss Challenge, Day 1

So today is the first day of the big weight loss challenge. Official weight today - 254.2. So that means that I need to get down to 233.8. That's 20.4 pounds. I think that there are approx. 25 people in the contest, so the pot is going to be around $500.00. Pretty cool, but oddly enough, the money doesn't feel like a big motivation right now. What is motivating me is not being a big fat bastard anymore. I'm tired of all the little aches and pains that come with a BMI over 30. Being fat makes you a little paranoid too. You can't just have heartburn without turning into Fred Sanford and thinking it's "the big one". With my recent chest and back pains, along with my lack of leg strength, I've become a little worried that I may have a touch of ALS. Yep. Lou Gehrig's Disease. It sucks being neurotic. I'm hoping losing weight will alleviate a lot of mental problems as well as physical.
I did get in about 2.5 miles last night. Some nights, you feel great while walking, like you could go on forever. Last night was not one of those nights. It probably wouldn't have been too bad, but the wind was blowing its ass off. And it never seemed like I was moving directly into it or away from it. It always seemed to be at a weird angle that made it feel like the road was slanted to the side, which is hell on my knees. Couldn't expect too much after 2 or 3 days off, though.
Tonight on the other hand felt great. Right around 50 degrees and almost no wind. Tonight was one of those nights that makes you happy. It was so pretty outside that I really didn't feel the need to push too hard. Instead, I worked on posture and breathing. I tend to slouch while walking, sitting, etc, and I catch myself very subtly holding my breath a lot. So I am trying to open up my lungs and keep everything in alignment. I think that is the dichotomy of how I want to train. Part of me would like to be cutting edge with my training, but a part of me also wants to simplify. This is where my obsession with Oriental culture comes in. We will get into that another time.
I will try to remember to weigh in here at the house in the morning, so I can keep a running total here on the blog for anyone who is interested. We will see tomorrow if chest pain is a recurring theme or not while bike riding. Wish me luck....

3 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger Kary said...

Just remember, if you do have a heart attack, you have to manage to get hit by the druck UPS driver a split second before you die, because the kids and I will need the insurance money.
P.S. - I'm not sure you can have a TOUCH of Lou Gehrig's disease. But good luck with that.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Aaron Hamby said...

Dude.....neurotic much? I have to agree, being fat sucks! The good news is, being fat is temporary but ugly is forever....so we've got that going for us....which is nice.....The end of that sentence kind of reminds me of something that happened to me long ago... I'd like to relate:

Anyway.....So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. (You know a jock....a caddy) So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice......

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caddyshack much, dude?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home