Monday, April 03, 2006

Opening Day!!!

Screw the NCAA Championship tonight. Forget about how crappy and busy it was at work today. Two little words trump them all. Quite possibly my 2 favorite words. Play Ball! Damn, I love me some baseball!! So there is not too much that could bring me down today. My Braves just held on for an opening day win and all is right with the world. The only thing that could make the 12 straight hours of baseball on TV better is if it was on a Saturday so I could sit here and watch all of it. And just as a word of warning, all negative comments about baseball will be deleted ruthlessly. Consider yourself warned.

So I commented yesterday on the comparative merits of time-based workouts as opposed to mile-based workouts. I'm not sure which would be better at this point. I like the sense of completion you get when you finish a 3 miler, and it just doesn't sound the same to say you went out and ran 40 minutes. It sounds like you are trying to hide something. But when you run (or walk) for mileage, you run the risk of doing what I did on Saturday and go out too fast. If you decide you are running for 45 minutes, no matter what you do, you can't make the time go faster, so there is no incentive to go too fast. When you are training for a race, though, you need to be sure you can complete the whole distance, so you have to make sure you are putting in enough mileage. One other benefit to walking for time is the fact that you don't have to be able to measure the distance. You don't have to worry about driving the course you intend to walk while staring at your odometer like it is an order of Ted's fajitas. I don't know that one is better than another, so I may try both on different nights.

I think that the enthusiasm is starting to catch on. Kary and Shell have decided that if they are going to be at the marathon anyway, they might as well participate! So Aaron and I will get to see our better halves (halfs?) walking in the half-marathon. I'm very excited! Kary wants an I-Pod before she does it, though, so I'm not sure if she really wants to do it or if she just wants to go shopping. I'm pretty sure the training will go much smoother, though, if we are both training. So that is another option out there for those of you who don't think you are up to the full 26.2. I'm hoping to find a half somewhere in September as a warm up.

I'm hoping to get in a couple of miles tonight (or a bunch of minutes), but it is starting to cloud up a little outside. I didn't make it out yesterday so I'm pretty sure I will get out for a little bit. My legs are a little heavy, but absolutely no leg pain anymore. Now if I could just fix my back.....

2 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Shell said...

I started up my 2 mile morning walk today. So far so good. I've decided maybe I should run a little, but I don't think I know how. Aaron has decided to work with me, so we'll see how that goes. And uh... baseball is soooo nifty - why would anyone say anything bad about baseball?

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Aaron Hamby said...

Really.....why......you can't delete posts of opinions that differ from yours....it just ain't right....anyway, as a friend, I respect your baseball love fest, and will reserve my blog for my feelings on the subject.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home