Wednesday, January 10, 2007

And so it begins...

Training for the marathon started on Monday. Of course, I didn't do anything until today, but that is beside the point. Monday was supposed to be an rest/cross train day anyway, but I did miss the first 6 mile run last night. Well, I wouldn't say I missed it, but I didn't run. Kary has been having some trouble after her gall bladder surgery, and there really wasn't a chance to sneak out for an hour last night. I thought about Aaron's suggestion of doubling up her Oxycodone and then heading out, but I just couldn't get myself to do it. (Don't worry Aaron, I won't tell her!) Besides, if I double up her pain meds, she won't have any left over when she feels better, and then I can't have her hand me downs. I did get in a little over 3 miles this morning, and hopefully, I can get in the other 3 later tonight. It seems like I haven't been able to get really serious about training yet. I'm waiting for that Rocky II moment, when Kary wakes up and tells me to "Win. Win." As soon as that happens, I plan on catching that chicken and then it is ON!! (In a non-sexual way, of course)

To be honest, I am a little nervous about the marathon training, and not as excited as I was about a month ago. Not that I don't want to do it, but after the great run I had a couple of weeks ago, I have been feeling slow, achy, and tired. My speed (what little there was) is gone, and so is any strength I may have had. Maybe all of this will come back once we get into training, but I'm not sure.

I'm a little concerned about the time goal I've set (4:30), and whether I should even have a time goal for my first marathon. That time is contingent on being skinny on marathon day, and while it is still possible, it seems like a long way to go in a fairly short amount of time. I'm hoping that once I start lifting weights again and tighten up the diet, things will fall back into place. It's funny how fast your mindset can change. A couple of weeks ago, I felt light and fast, but now, even though I weigh the same, I feel fat and slow. I guess I will see how the next couple of weeks go, and figure out if I need to modify things a little. If things get to the point where they aren't fun anymore, I will definitely have to make some changes, but right now, I think it is just fear of the unknown. And when you are a fat, sloppy guy like I have been for the last decade, the only unknown you have to deal with involves a Chinese food buffet.

So while I am nervous about heading off into uncharted territory, it feels good to know that I will still be running when I get there....

1 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Kary said...

Thanks for skipping running to take care of me. Thanks for not doubling me up, meds-wise. And thanks to Aaron for the ever-so-thoughtful suggestion. Oh, yeah...Win. Win. There - I'm spent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home