Sunday, July 30, 2006

Running in the Daylight

I ran in the daylight today for the first time in about a year. Turns out it is hotter outside when that big, bright hot ball of gas is out (the sun, by the way, not my wife). Also, it is weird seeing other people outside and them being able to watch me run. It seems very anonymous running at night, because most of the time, I can see people in their yards and on their porches, but they really can't see me. Occasionally, they might hear me and look my way, but they usually only catch a glimpse because of the dark running shirt I always wear. Probably not the safest thing to wear at night, but I would prefer the ability to disappear quickly if someone feels like messing around with someone running alone.

That isn't really an issue lately, though, because I haven't had to run alone. Aaron and I ran a little over 2.5 tonight, with a few hills thrown in, and felt pretty good. Of course, he ran about a mile and a half before I got there, so he is still working harder than I am! As usual, the first half mile or so, I felt pretty heavy and terrible, but after that I felt pretty good. My lungs took more of a beating tonight then my legs did. It is weird because I can't predict which will go first on any given night, the legs or the lungs. With the extra hills thrown in, I probably would have guessed the legs tonight, but neither one was enough of a problem to make us stop more than once or twice for short walk breaks. I've never run with others before, but I am really enjoying it. It is a cool way to get some exercise and also a good way to spend more time with two of my best friends. It also helps that we are all pretty similar in fitness levels right now, so nobody is having to go way below their natural pace (unless I am holding everyone back and they feel too bad to tell me!).

Aaron will be out of town this week, so while he is putting in the miles in Alabama, me and Jerome will be running here in town. I'm trying to get Jerome motivated to run the 1/2 with us in Tulsa in November. I am hoping we can get a big group of people together to go. Hopefully Kary, Shel, Chad, Pascal, Daylen, Sara, and her husband Chris and a bunch of others can get together and have a good showing in Tulsa! But I'm he only one I can control, so I have to make sure I can cover the 13.1! It seems pretty crazy that I would have to do tonight's run another 5 times to complete the half, but it really seems doable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home