Friday, May 26, 2006

On the Road Again

I've been doing most of my running at the track lately. It is nice and flat, and I know exactly how far I am running. But for the last couple of days, there has been a conspiracy afoot. They have been re-surfacing the track, so the whole place is chained up. So twice this week I did my running here in my neighborhood, which is fine, but very hilly. That is OK every once in awhile, but it really wears on me after two straight days. My legs felt like they were full of lead yesterday, and still felt pretty dead today. (That last line sounded like some really lame ass poetry).

So today, I decided to get back out on the road. I headed uptown to the temple, put the key to the truck in the little pocket inside my running shorts, and just took off. I really had no idea where I was going to run or how far, I just knew that I felt like running. So I spent the next 2 miles playing a little game I like to call "find the flat spot in the road". I mentioned awhile back that Oklahoma seems as flat as 3 day old Pepsi until you start running or riding a bike, and then it feels like you can't find a flat spot. One other thing you don't really notice while driving is how the road slants down to both curbs or shoulders so the rainwater can drain (damn you Isaac Newton!!). Running up and down hill is damn hard work, but it doesn't hurt like running on the side of a slanting road. But I had a really good run, and watching where you step (up and down curbs, traffic whizzing by at 40 mph) really takes your mind off of the pain, so the time seemed to fly by. I think I'm going back out tomorrow to do the same thing....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home