Thursday, May 11, 2006

Lunch

So I started the lunch running yesterday, and I have to say, I think I like it. I have no excuse not to run, and I have plenty of time, so I didn't feel rushed at all. Normally, when I run of an evening time, I feel the need to hurry home and help Kary with the kids. Not sure why. Probably has nothing to do with her telling me to hurry home an average of 13.8 times every night. Very supportive, butthole! Just kidding. But I do find the word butthole hilarious. It makes me laugh like Butthead (which also sounds like butthole and also makes me laugh). But I digress...

I've measured the roads around my work, so I have an idea of how far I ran, but I just ran for time so it doesn't really matter. I ran for right around 45 minutes and really felt good. I can really feel the weakness in my hips and hamstrings, though, so that is something I definitely need to work on. One of the things I did was what I call step ups. Basically, I just walked along with one foot stepping on the curb with each step, and the other foot on the road. Sounds easy, but after walking for 30-40 steps like this with each leg, the glutes really start singing (hee hee). The other big difference between this and my usual running is the surface. The roads around my work are pure concrete, and most of the running I usually do is on blacktop. You wouldn't think it would be that much of a difference, but I can tell you, it is. The good news is that I am very sore today, but it is all good soreness. No knee problems, etc. Most of the soreness is in the tibialis anterior, vastus lateralis and the soleus (see here).

I was too sore to run at lunch today, coupled with the fact that I was busy and actually didn't take a lunch. I will make up for today's hard work tomorrow when we have our off-site coaches meeting (read bowling and pizza). So that should be fun. I'm hoping to feel well enough tomorrow night to get out and run a little . I wish I was in better shape now, because there are some really cool races going on out there. Pascal is doing the Lazy E Duathlon this weekend, which sounds like fun. Or it would if my lung capacity didn't compare to an asthmatic bulldog with a runny nose.

Really not much going on right now. The diet is going pretty well. One thing I did this week, is set my trip odometer before driving home from work the other day. I took the back way home, which is a little longer than my usual trip (I think), and it came out to about 29 miles. Doesn't really sound like a long trip, except I was looking at it in terms of the marathon. 26.2 miles from the entrance of the parking lot at work leaves me 3 blocks past my son's school in Guthrie. About 30 minutes driving. Holy Shit. A little sobering. I guess it makes completing it all the more impressive. But seriously, though. Holy Shit.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Kary said...

Who you calling a butthole, butthole?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home