Tuesday, May 23, 2006

People

One of the things I dislike about getting older and becoming a more responsible person is the fact that I have to spend more and more of my time worrying about other people's thoughts and feelings. For the record, let me get this out before I go any further: People suck. People are stupid and I don't understand what is (or isn't) going through their heads at any point and time. One of the things I was unprepared for when I took over my supervisor role at work is how much bitching goes on about the dumbest shit. Maybe I just never noticed it because I'm usually the one doing all of the bitching. I'll give you that. Trust me, I am not holding myself above others, because I suck just as much as anybody. I complain alot, and a big portion of the time I'm pretty sure I'm not that much fun to be around. I've accepted this about myself, and I try to protect others from my scorn, ridicule and derision by just staying away from people as much as possible.

Aaron and others like to listen to music while they run, but I like to pass time by imagining I am applying the triangle to people who get on my bad side. I'm a big dude, and I have a huge bad (and back) side. The newest target of my ire seems to be bad baseball parents. By and large, the parents on my team are a nice bunch of people, but there are some people who seem to think that my style of coaching (kids having fun, getting to play different positions, not getting yelled at, etc) is not the best for their kids. And maybe they are right. Maybe 7 year old kids need to be taught that winning is everything and who cares if the smaller kids have to play right field and bat last every game. I mean sportsmanship doesn't really apply in today's day and age does it? Who cares if the kids aren't having fun? We're winning right??

I'm starting to learn that you can't make everybody happy. Seems like a revelation, huh? Maybe my much loved lack of interaction with others has left me a little naive. I just assumed (and made an ass of me) that if everyone's kids were learning the game and having fun, that people would be happy? Am I that big of a dumbass? Nevermind, don't answer that. I guess for now, I am going to let the bitching from parents go, and just ignore it. Maybe we will have to talk, eventually, but I don't think that would be in anyone's best interest.

By the way, I was getting ready to eat some fettucine tonight when I read Aaron's blog, and his running is going so well, I couldn't get myself to eat the unhealthy food and went running instead. Stupid peer pressure....

5 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Shell said...

Take a step toward the people.

Smile.

It will be o.k. Don't fear the people.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Aaron Hamby said...

There is nothing worse in than sports parents.....You should hear this guy at work, his daughter is 6 and from what he says, "a really good soccer player". Well he is staging a revolt and trying to get his daughter's coach fired because during the last game of the season, they were up by 2 goals and he put in two girls who hadn't played much in the game and they lost because "those girls suck"...hello, they are 6! Get a grip. I really admire you for coaching the team, I couldn't do it. As far as the running goes, keep it up. We have butts on the line, you know.

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christopher, what a great therapy tool. I can't believe you actually mentioned Daylen. He sucks. I hope I do not become one of those "sports parents" but a sensible "let the coach be the coach" parent. You are doing a great job at work despite the strike thing and everybody being on the verge of a breakdown. Before I vomit from the comments I just made, you are still fat.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Kary said...

I totally agree with Dayna. Just the last part, though.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Dayna: Doris Jean

Kary: Sleep with one eye open....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home